Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Week 10 - Site visit

WHO: Essa (aka Vanessa)
WHAT: Peace Corps, Environmental Education
WHERE: Nicaragua
WHEN: Sept '05 - Nov '07

WHY: La vida es un carnaval

So this is going to a boring text-only entry, sorry - no time to download pics. Our group has dispersed to all parts of Nicaragua to visit their sites! It was a much anticipated week during training, as Spanish class and technical training is getting old.

So last Saturday we all set out for our sites. I will be living in one of the larger communities in the department of Chontales. My site visit has been successful - the family which which I will be living for a while is great. (More about them when I post photos).

According to my site report, I am slated to work with the mayors office/environmental comission on a community-wide water development project, as well as help put together a proposal for a sanitary landfill. They are also interested in developing some type of water treatment facilities for the businesses here. I also met with an employee of MARENA, the equivalent of the EPA, and we talked about a watershed conservation project he is involved in at the moment.

Through the Department of Education, there are work possibilites with the local natural sciences library that serves the community and schools. Additionally, I have been assigned one rural school located a few miles away to help integrate environmental education into the curriculum.

So, there seems to be lots of possibities here! Everyone I met with was very warm and helpful...though the community seems big right now, I'm sure that as soon as I start making friends, it'll seem more like home.

So, back to Managua for a week-long wrap-up...

1 Comments:

Blogger Badger said...

Howdy, I'm new around here. Like your Blog. If you're interested, go see my internet business plan site about starting a business and working from home. It's still pretty rough but I finally know what I want it to be. Anyway, you may still find something of interest.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home